This Sunday, in Winnipeg, thousands of people will participate in the Manitoba Marathon. Congratulations to everyone who will be running. It takes determination, courage, and commitment to run a marathon. Organizational change can be like running a marathon.
My top ten reasons why organizational change is like a marathon:
- You are doubtful in the beginning, excited at the start line, exhausted in the middle, and really (and I mean really) proud when you cross the finish line.
- It can destroy you if you haven’t prepared properly, but when you are prepared it can build your capacity for even greater accomplishments.
- It is as much a mental and emotional endeavor as it is physical.
- It requires involvement; no one can run the race for someone else and have them receive the benefits.
- You need the commitment to persevere. Buy-in isn’t enough to get you through race.
- How quickly you recover after the race depends on how well you prepared before the race.
- Celebrating your success is part of the process.
- You can only complete the race at the speed of your own readiness and ability.
- Support and encouragement along the route can make the difference between quitting or completing.
- You can only successfully complete one race at a time.
Dr. Dawn-Marie Turner